1.25.2010

Success and Lunch Plans

Concentrating on the job search has finally paid off! I had an interview yesterday morning at the Sendik's grocery store in Elm Grove. After 15 minutes of questions and such, the manager something to the effect of, "I don't normally do this, but you seem like a pleasant person...I'm going to offer you the job." After months and months of applications, waiting, and hoping, I finally found someone who wanted me to work for them.

I start next week as a bakery associate. The job is only part time, but it gives me a chance to work on my photo business and take the photo management class at Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC). Oh, and it will take care of my bills - which is always a good thing - leaving me with a little left over for fun things.

-------

In other news, I have a guest coming over for lunch tomorrow. Elliott is a very nice, older gentleman and my mentor. I was given a scholarship in his name at Ohio University, and, after graduation, I just happened to wind up living a mile from him. What luck to already know someone before moving to a new city! So I spent the morning figuring out what to make for lunch. Fortunately, Ina Garten has a list of lunch menus on her website. Here's the plan:

Mache with Warm Brie and Apples
French Onion Soup
Croque Monsieur


I most likely won't be able to find Mache at my local co-op, but they usually have something I can sub it with. Tatsoi, baby spinach, or mixed baby greens would be tasty and the co-op always has those stocked. Since this is easy to throw together, I can whip it up at the last minute so that it's ready to eat when Elliott arrives at noon.

French onion soup will be souper easy. Haha - get it? Just onions, broth, a little booze, and seasoning. Ina's recipe keeps it simple and doesn't fuss with the whole French bread and gob of cheese topping in individual bowls and stuck under the broiler. The recipe calls for Sherry and Brandy or Cognac, since I don't have those I'll just use broth and white wine to deglaze the pan. I'll probably start it at 11 and have it ready and keeping warm at noon.

The Croque Monsieur is a little more labor intensive, but since the other two dishes are easy, I can concentrate on prepping the sandwiches. I'll start the Gruyere cheese sauce at about 11:30. Assemble the sandwiches at 11:45. Toss them into the toaster oven to broil when Elliott arrives.

I can't wait! I love entertaining - especially with all the new wedding gifts.

-------

Here are the links to the recipes:

No comments:

Post a Comment