9.04.2011

Quiche - Week 1

 This week's quiche is 

- drum roll please - 

Swiss chard, caramelized leek, smoked oyster and Fontina!


I used  a small bunch of Swiss chard that I picked from my garden, a couple of leeks I bought a few days ago just because they looked good, and a can of smoked oysters that I've been kicking around for a few months. I only had to buy Fontina and milk since I don't keep those on hand in my refrigerator.

Swiss chard has such a lovely, earthy flavor which goes well with the sweetness of the caramelized leeks. Fontina also plays well with others because of it's mild flavor. All of these subtle, yet distinct flavors set a nice background for the smoked oysters. If you're not a fan of oysters, I suggest you opt for smoked trout or bacon, which would both make excellent replacements.

Oh, and I used store bought, name brand pie dough - a huge mistake. The pie dough just doesn't look like it should when it is baked. It looks...bizzare. Plus, the darn stuff didn't hold up and sent the quiche batter oozing between the crust and the side of the pie pan. From here on out, I swear to make my own dough. Or if I'm lazy, like I was today, I will use the scrap dough from work.

I'll let you know how it tastes later in the week, it's far too hot to try right now!

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious. I especially like the photo of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete